Friday 29 August 2014

The Grand Tour: Episode 1

Snug in my dressing gown, cuddling my cup of hot chocolate the memory of gelato and sunshine seems like a dream. But it happened, a mere 2 weeks ago, I have the photos.



 (Big floppy hat, medicinal ice cream, Venetian skies)

In a mere 10 days we clocked up 1050 land-miles, 1382 air-miles, 3 countries, 5 cities, the Alps, the Adriatic, snow and olives (those last four in just one rail journey).

(my journey as plotted by go-pro travelling)

My father and I flew to Germany and then inter-railed after that. There is something magical about exploring Europe by train, watching the terrain change shape before your very eyes. Our second holiday inter-railing and the last one where I will be cheap (boo hiss!); 2 years ago we travelled from Amsterdam to Poland and back via Hamburg and Berlin, catch up here.

(The Dolce Vita, the first of many railway stations)

On Day 5 of the adventure (points 3-4 on the map) we caught the train to Vienna and I got my first sight of the Alps to John William's soundtrack to 'The Book Thief'. That experience was unforgettable. When we travel together, the journeying is as important as the city we eventually arrive in. 


(Innsbruck, with a mountain at the end of every street)

We used a variety of different accommodation; 2 IBIS hotels, a private hotel, and 2 air b'n'b places. I think our rental of a flat at Campo Mauritz in Venice was my favourite.  Food was a clear priority for us, I always want to 'eat the view' and roughly every 2 hours we'd pause for coffee and a sticky bun of some sort.


(St Maria of Salute Basilica, Venice)

The following posts cover accommodation, sites of interest, what we ate (and where) and some info on transport. I've arranged the info according to location:


Come along for the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment