Wednesday 22 January 2014

The book that revived my love of London

Hi everyone!

How are you? I am loving getting to know London a little better from the inside. There are 2 reasons for this; one is my multi-branch gym pass (more to follow) and one  is Gillian Tindall's 'The House by the Thames'.
(photo taken by me, 16.01.14)

London - life-long love
My Dad has been taking me to London since I started Primary school. As a teenager I explored London from my cousin's well-placed London flat. And now as a grown-up I love walking across London; past all those places that have seen so many things, St Paul's (as in the photo above), the Bank of England, Trafalgar Square, the Southbank.

'The House by the Thames' 2006
This book is a potted history of one property, number 49 and its place in London as it has grown and changed over the past millennium. The Southbank sees a lot of change; it goes from fields, to industrial wharfs, and back again. It becomes the on-trend place to live, it is the place only the poorest of the poor would live. The landscape and thus number 49 reflect many of the changes that happen across the UK; the temperance movement, the introduction of sewers, the British Empire, electricity. Each of these changes had an impact on number 49; its structure, use and inhabitants - these varied from middle class gents, to crippled sweet makers and even a film star!

One of the things I really enjoyed about the book was the way she explains the frailty of memory and the strengths and weaknesses of different historical sources - it is so accessible. Anchoring the history of the whole area around one house was a really intelligent move; keeping me involved with the area's narrative right to the end! She's not just a historian, she's a confident historian, quite happy to share her methodology with us all, and provide photos and plans. This book was like all the best bits of my Cultural Heritage MA.

Seriously, this book is great; whether you are a novice or an expert give it a read!

Next time: The pools of London; and the adventures therein.

No comments:

Post a Comment